DMR Oil Contamination Test
Supplies needed to check for metal contamination;
- Clear plastic surface
- 2 strong Earth Magnets
- Level surface
- Camera to take before and after photographs
To test oil;
- Warm engine to operating temperature
- Remove 4 drops of oil from the dipstick
- Place on a plastic surface with white paper underneath for easy visibility
- Take photographs of the oil resting on the plastic
- Push magnet to touch oil and take a picture
- Wait at least 10 minutes
- Remove magnet by lifting straight up to avoid smearing and take a picture.
- If oil appears underneath the magnet, the oil is contaminated with finely ground metal.
- If the oil surrounds the magnet and is not sucked underneath the oil is not contaminated